The weather report is out, this weekend calls for more Spring showers! Since rainy days aren’t that common in Northern Colorado, it can be hard to remember what you can do to keep your family active on those days. We’ve compiled a list of the top 6 things you can do inside your own home to keep your family active on the occasional Colorado rainy days.
- In-home Hide and Seek Work Out – Here’s a new twist on an old game. The seeker has to skip around to find the hiders, and when you are found, everyone does 15 jumping jacks, 15 crunches, 15 squats!
- Hide the object – A variation of hide and seek, hide an object (e.g., a toy, stuffed animal, etc.), as the other person is seeking the object, provide a series of action clues to lead them to it (e.g., hop five steps forward, bear walk 3 steps to the left, do 5 push ups next to the table…and you find it!)
- Bake Healthy(er) Cookies – Baking cookies on rainy days is always a fun way to make the house smell great, keep the family entertained and enjoy a delicious treat! Go ahead, take a taste bud vacation!
- Dance Party Workout: Pick out 6 of your favorite songs to dance to, and dance to them all in a row! The average song runs around 3 minutes and 30 seconds long, so that’ll give you a good 18-21 minute cardio workout!
- Indoor Obstacle Course – Create a fun obstacle course in your living room with pillows to crawl over, toys to jump over, and tables to climb under, etc. The possibilities are endless!
- Keep up the Balloon – This one never gets old. Tap a balloon (or multiple balloons) back and forth as many times as possible. Maybe you could try breaking the Guinness Book of World Records…
Have any more ideas on activities to keep your family active in the home on a rainy day? Please share, we’d love to hear them!
Stay tuned for our next blog post in which we continue our rainy day active family list with activities you can do outside the home! In the meantime, join us for a PlayItUp ℠ Family Fitness class to combine fitness with the joy of connecting with your kids.